The Palazzo Las Vegas Named Largest 'Green' Building in the World
The article I read this week was about the Palazzo Las Vegas, a hotel which recently received the “Energy Innovator’s Award” as being the largest ‘Green’ building in the world. The plan to develop and deploy energy-efficient renewable energy technologies, services and policies was a success according Nevada Governor Jim Gibbons. "From the beginning, we were determined to create Las Vegas' first truly eco-friendly property and we are extremely proud to have achieved it and be recognized for it”. The building is also four times bigger than the second largest ‘Green Hotel’ in the world.
There is an array of environmentally friendly technologies that were implemented by the Palazzo Las Vegas. For example the the artificial turf, drip irrigation and moisture sensors in planted areas help to eliminate over 75% in irrigation needs. Solar energy is used to heat the swimming pool and the temperature controls lower the air conditioning when guests are not in the room and automatically reset to the desired temperature upon return. Similarly the lights do the same thing and are on a sensor to turn off when there is no body movement in the room.
Reflection
I think that the Palazzo Las Vegas is the ideal picture for hotels in the future. Consumers and companies a like are becoming conscious of the need to save energy around the world and is simple technologies like the ones implemented here that are going to change how we live. Personally I would choose to stay in this hotel as opposed to another because I know how much better it is treating the environment.
My favorite aspect about this hotel is how it was constructed and how it is made from recycled materials. According to the article “the building's structural steel averaged 95% recycled content, while the concrete averaged a 26% recycled content rate”. It makes me wonder why all buildings are not built out of recycled material. Staying in this hotel would not only be environmentally efficient but with all these new technologies I feel that it is also a new and interesting place to spend the night. In my opinion the developers have thought of a lot of great technologies to put into this hotel and they will continue to add more energy saving equipment as they are invented. This hotel is the hotel of the future and I am looking forward to staying in similar places.
Hospitaltiy Technology, Received April 15, 2008: The Palazzo Las Vegas Named Largest 'Green' Building in the World
.April 11, 2008 http://www.htmagazine.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=MultiPublishing&mod=PublishingTitles&mid=3E19674330734FF1BBDA3D67B50C82F1&tier=4&id=053F2B3A0E9344909DFDFF04C1C417BF
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think it is great that the Palazzo hotel has gone green. Going green has recently become a very big trend among hoteliers and I think it is great. In the end, going green can effectively cut operating costs down a lot for hotels. I have also heard that many guests prefer staying in a ‘green’ hotel compared to a non-green hotel. Las Vegas is obviously a huge hotel-infested town and I would not be surprised if we start seeing more and more of the hotels making efforts to become more environmentally friendly. Going green can be expensive, but in the end I feel it is worth it for most hotels.
Post a Comment